Monday, August 1, 2011

Studio Made: Santa Cruz Woodworkers

It’s been three years in the making, but the exhibition is finally here. On July 29th, a special preview to the members and friends of the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History was held in the Final SCW-MAH Poster-small-for webevening. The gallery was full to overflowing, and a good time was had by all.

And coming up this week, on the First Friday Art Walk, August 5th, the Santa Cruz Woodworkers will be on hand to answer questions and give gallery tours at the Museum, starting at noon. The Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History First Friday Art Tour runs from 12 noon to 9 pm. Admission: Free.

The last few months have been incredibly busy for me, and it keeps on keepin’ on. In previous blogs I’ve kept you up to date on pieces I was working on for this exhibition. What I didn’t mention was that I had to make four of my own pedestals for some of my work, plus new hangers for some of the instruments I put on display.

In the middle of all this I had three restorations (two ukuleles, one guitar), and a fourth (dulcimer) showed up on my doorstep, which I’ll start on soon. (More on that remarkable 19th century dulcimer in a later post.) And… to prepare for our house being painted, I had to rebuild part of the roof of my studio (termite problem) and do a lot of cleanup around the house.

Now that the exhibition is up and running, you’d think I’d take some time off. But no-o-o. The San Francisco American Craft Council Show is a little over a week away, and I’m rapidly finishing up three new pieces for it: a medieval oak trestle stool (similar to the one I have at the Museum show), a medieval-style cricket (small, short foot stool), and another pair of candlesticks. By the way, this fantastic crafts show runs August 12-14 at Fort Mason, Festival Pavilion. I’m in booth 209.

And now for something completely different, here’s a series of photos taken at the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History during the Member preview party:

Ron with MAH instruments-donphotoMAH preview at my end
Me with Rebec and Medieval Fiddle         Some of the crowd enjoying my work

Ron-box trestle table settingRon-chandelier
My Box Trestle Table and                             My new chandelier
Medieval Trestle Stool                                                             
Ron showing chess to PennyMAH award ceremony
Showing off my Medieval Chess Set              I got a gift award for all my web work
                                                                      and poster and postcard designs

Well, that’s it for now. Time to get back to making sawdust. (i.e., carving). Onward through the fog…

No comments: